Fun Specific to 6th Grade?

Carter and Ben

This year at McAuliffe International school, the newest sixth graders have attained a special program just for them, because of the overflow of students that have come into the school. The reason for this is because High School Venture Prep, used the same building, (Smiley Campus) as the original McAuliffe. In addition to the insane amounts of kids this year, a new school that has opened based on the same philosophy as McAuliffe at Smiley. This school is called McAuliffe at Manual, and its colors are primarily blue and grey, instead of the Red and white at McAuliffe at Smiley. Because this is their first year on campus, there’s only 6th graders at the school. Their plan is every year, they’re adding another grade to their school. At the original McAuliffe there is a house system which means there are two different sections for the sixth grade. This is so kids don’t feel so overwhelmed at school. The total amount of 6th graders this year has increased by about 120 kids. Last year, there were only 260 kids in the sixth grade. This year, however, there are 380, giving the staff a reason to invent a solution to “house” all the new kids. Their solution is a housing system, containing two different parts, or houses. These two houses are called Challenger and Fusion. The way that the school evenly splits up the kids is they donate one half of the sixth grade floor to the challenger house, and the other half to fusion. The same system applies to the teachers, also. Half of the teachers will be placed in one half of the floor, and the other half of all the teachers to the other half.  In addition, this is the first year that McAuliffe is trying this out, and if all goes well, then future sixth graders will see the same housing system. Sadly for the 7th and 8th graders this year, they are the only grades in the school that don’t have this system, because this is the first year that this process has been introduced, and the first year McAuliffe @ manual has been sharing the same campus as regular McAuliffe. An interview with a current sixth grader led to reveal mixed emotions about their school life ever since the housing was placed. “I like it because I don’t feel as cramped as I could be, but also I have a different schedule than all of my friends, because they’re in the other house than me, and a rarely see them.” So, in the end, the new system has pros and cons, and current sixth graders have mixed opinions.